The Schools of York were organized by 1880 into districts much as
they were to remain, Jt. 4 (with Grant) was known as the Windfall
School and served the southeastern part of the town, with 24
families being taxed. Jt. 3 was in the County Farm area and
was known also as the Northrup School. There were 21 taxpayers
in the York area in the district (1880). Jt. 2 was known as
the Forman School and had the smallest area in the town. In
1884 the only taxpayers in York that were in the district were Wm.
Anthony, S. Beach, Chester Cook, Chas. Pratt, Ed Turner, and A.
No. 1 was known as the Palmer School and was the largest
in early times. The log school was one of the earliest to be
established. There were 31 taxpayers in 1884. This
became the Lincoln School and was divided into two districts in
1907. The northern part became Pleasant View School. No.
2 (the Parrett School) became Oriole School in later times.
There were 14 taxpayers in 1884. No. 3 was to become Merry
Vale. There were 38 taxpayers in 1884. No. 4 was known
as the Garbisch School and later as Romadka, the taxpayers in 1884
numbered only 12.
Excerpt from "The Centennial History of the
York Center United Methodist Church (1880 - 1980) and the Town of
York (1857 - 1980), page 83.