History: Greenwood, Wisconsin (1909) Greenwood Gleaner 29 Jul 1909)
Surnames: Aikens, Allds, Allen, Alton, Anderson, Andrews, Arends, Armstrong, Arndt, Ayer, Bailey, Baker, Baldwin,, Bancroft, Barlow, Bauman, Bear, Begley, Behrens, Bishop, Blecha, Borigo, Borseth, Bowerman, Braun, Bredeson, Breed, Brick, Brooks, Brown, Bryden, Buckwheater, Buker, Buland, Burch, Bushman, Butcher, Carpenter, Carter, Cassell, Cestelo, Chandler, Chehalls, Churchill, Cirkle, Clute, Converse, Cook, Cornick, Corzette, Cox, Cramer, Crane, Crothers, Cummings, Dangers, Dawes, Decker, Delamater, Delano, Dewey, Dingley, Drake, Drinkwine, Drummond, Durham, Dutcher, Dwyer, Easton, Eaton, Eggett, Emerson, Ferneau, Foster, Fowler, Fradette, Franckenberg, Frank, Frankenberg, Fricke, Fritz, Garitz, Gemmeke, Gibson, Goodwin, Grashorn, Harding, Harlow, Harrison, Hartson, Haskell, Haw, Hembre, Hendren, Hendrickson, Herrell, Hewett, Heywood, Higbee, Hoehne, Hogue, Holloway, Hommel, Honeywell, Howard, Howe, Hubbell, Hull, Humke, Hummel, Huntzicker, Jacobson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Jones, Justice, Kause, Kelley, Kennedy, Kennedy, Kessler, Kiel, Kippenhan, Klein, Klinke, Kloster, Krause, Kuns, Lang, Laube, Locke, Lovel, Lowver, Luddington, Mabi, Mack, Markham, Martin, Mason, Mathison, McCalvy, McCarty, McKinzie, McMahon, Mead, Meek, Meeks, Meinholdt, Melzer, Mick, Milan, Minsass, Moberg, Moore, Morrison, Neverman, Nichols, Nieman, Noetzel, Norris, Noyes, Nutting, O’Pfaff, O'Connell, Oelig, O'Neill, Pams, Peterson, Pettingill, Pfunder, Phair, Philpott, Pratt, Presnall, Ralstead, Rand, Raymond, Redmond, Reese, Richeleu, Richmond, Riplinger, Roberts, Roddis, Root, Ross, Rossman, Rossow, Ryckmen, Sanford, Schmalz, Schoenwetter, Schwarze, Schweiger, Setler, Shanks, Sheets, Shrimpton, Shrofshire, Silvers, Soefker, Speich, Spencer, Sperbeck, Stair, Standiford, Stanton, Stearns, Steele, Steenberg, Steffen, Steiger, Stewart, Stockwell, Stoker, Stoneberg, Stowe, Sutherland, Swenson, Syth, Taylor, Telford, Terry, Theilen, Thibert, Thompson, Thora, Thurig, Timerson, Toburen, Trow, Tscharner, Tucker, Turney, Upham, Van Voorhis, VanVoorhis, Vates, Volk, Vollrath, Wallis, Ware, Warner, Weilen, Wellen, Weston, White, Williams, Williamson, Willis, Wmith, Wollenberg, Woodkey, Zetsche
----Source: 1909 Greenwood History, Originally published by Max C. Baldwin in the Greenwood Gleaner, Enhanced and edited and compiled with various photo collections by Janet & Stan Schwarze. Copyright 2008
1909 Greenwood History
Originally published by Max C. Baldwin in the Greenwood Gleaner
Enhanced and edited and compiled by Janet & Stan Schwarze.
          
Greenwood Businessmen, 1909
Page:          
[1909 History of Clark Co., WI]
To the Public, Greeting:
In the last week’s issue of the Gleaner, Editor Harry E. Hartson introduced to our readers a new management, to take effect with this issue, giving us a reputation which we hope we deserve, but which we will leave to the public for judgment.
We do not propose to dwell at any length on a eulogy of our own personal abilities, but to let the results of our labors and endeavors for the advancement and promotion of Clark County interests in general, and Greenwood in particular, speak for themselves.
The cordial welcome and the good hand of fellowship which was extended on our fits appearance in this beautiful city, was a grad elixir to support the spirits of human nature, and a stimulant that would call for the best that is in any man, and it will be our pleasure to show the deep appreciation which we feel, not only from personal contact, but through the columns of the Gleaner as well.
We believe that our readers will understand that we are practically strangers in a strange, but beautiful land, and that they will bear with us and not look for any great material change in the Gleaner at the offset, but will follow our advancement, step by step, as we become better and more thoroughly acquainted with our surroundings.
It is a natural instinct for anyone to look after and protect the interests of the town in which they live, therefore, our greatest efforts will be for Greenwood first, the natural, unaffected environments of which gives us an inspiration which we have never before felt, and as the home newspaper is the real foundation and inspiration for the building up and promotion of any place (a town or city is always judged by its newspaper), our first aim will be to place the Gleaner where it rightfully belongs, the leading paper of the county, and next, to work for the interests of Greenwood and help to place it where it is bound to be place, second to none in the county.
We cordially invite all our readers to call and get acquainted with us. We are never too busy to have a few moment’s chat with you, and we would be pleased to show you through our office and explain the making of a newspaper. It will interest you, too.
We frankly admit that if we do not accomplish all that we aim to do, with our wide range of operations, beautiful surroundings and the hustling element with which the field abounds, it will be from pure lack of ability and nothing else, and so with this issue of the Gleaner, we make our initial bow to the public and thank them for the hearty welcome accorded us.
Very truly yours,
M. C. Baldwin
Historical Background Notes
GREENWOOD—The first settlement near what is now the city of Greenwood began in 1848, when VanDusen and Waterman erected a new mill on the west side of the Black River and started what was to become a thriving industry in the areas. Soon Albert Lambert built a sawmill not far away, and in 1854 Elijah and Frederick Eaton arrived to remain as permanent residents of the area. They purchased the VanDusen and Waterman mill and expanded the lumber camps so that many million feet of lumber were saved there. It was not long before this thriving area was known as Eatonville.
In 1855 Robert Schofield arrived to make his home and living in the area, and Charles W. Carpenter arrived June 10, 1857.
Elijah Eaton was the first person to settle in the vicinity of which later became Greenwood. He erected his sawmill on the main Black River, about one-half mile west of what is now the city of Greenwood. In 1861, which was the first year of the Civil War, Stephen C. Honeywell located on the present site of Greenwood, cleared a good farm, making it the headquarters of his lumbering business. He carried on his lumber business extensively and was one of the most successful operators of that early period.
The city of Greenwood was platted in 1871 by Maud Brown, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Brown.
The first marriage was that of John Honeywell to Rachel Hodges in the fall of 1871. The first death was that of Elijah Eaton, Dec. 4, 1872.
Greenwood was incorporated as a village in 1891. At that time, there was a community hall, Methodist Church, creamery, sawmill, wagon shop, two meat markets, two blacksmith shops, two millinery and dressmaking stores, several mercantile stores, a furniture store and factory, a barber shop, one hotel, a harness shop, a shoe repair shop, photograph gallery, and other business establishments.
Greenwood was incorporated as a city by an act of the Wisconsin Legislature on April 2, 1891. David Justice was the first mayor and S. M. Andrews the first treasurer, Elias Peterson the first clerk, H. H. Hartson the first assessor, and the alderman were Robert Schofield, B. F. Thompson, L. W. Larson and H. H. Hartson. The first council meeting was held May 19, 1891. Greenwood Gleaner, 18 Jan 1963
Page:          
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs