Obit: Johnson, Carl L. (1888 – 1971)
Surnames: Johnson, Westwood, Fidler, Tuss, Nicholas, Priewert, Rigg, Lee, Mead, Petersen, Vigna, Hammond
---------Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 02 Dec 1971
Johnson, Carl L. (28 DEC 1888 – 22 NOV 1971)
Funeral services were held for Carl L. Johnson at the Fidler Funeral Chapel in Spearfish, South Dakota on Friday, November 26, 1971 at 3:30 p.m., with Rev. Arthur W. Westwood, pastor of the United Church of Christ - Congregational of Spearfish officiating. Mrs. Ray Fidler sang “How Great Thou Art” and “Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me,: being accompanied at the organ by Mrs. Philip Tuss.
Carl Johnson passed away after being ill for quite some time at the Lookout Memorial Hospital in Spearfish on Monday evening, November 22, 1971. A memorial has been established by the family.
He is survived by his two daughters, Mrs. Sidney (Verna) Nicholas of Spearfish, and Mrs. Fred (Eleanor) Priewert of West Des Moines, Iowa; two grandchildren, and one sister, Miss Clare Johnson of Brookfield, Wisconsin. Besides his parents and his wife, he was preceded in death by four brothers, Harold, Otto, Edwin and Joseph, and one sister, Caroline.
Mr. Johnson was born at Badger Mills, Wis., December 28, 1888, the son of Louie and Annie Johnson. He attended Northland College at Ashland and received his Bachelor’s Degree at Yankton College at Yankton, South Dakota, and his Master’s Degree from the University of Minnesota.
As a young man he was a baseball pitcher in the minor leagues, the Northern League, and the 3-1 League.
He was married to the former Frances Alpha Rigg on July 20, 1916 at Chippewa Falls. He taught school at Ambrose, North Dakota; and was principal of schools at Owen, Withee and Clear Lake. The Johnson family moved from Owen (Clark Co., Wis.) in 1931 to Clear Lake, and in 1937 they moved to Mellen, where until November 1963, at which time he moved to Spearfish, South Dakota to make and Verna Nicholas. Mrs. Johnson passed away at Spearfish on July 21, 1963.
Mr. Johnson was a member of the Owen Lodge No. 317 A.F. and A.M. from January 6, 1919, the date he raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason, until he transferred his membership to the Spearfish Lodge No. 18 A.F. and A.M. on December 28, 1970. He was also a member of the United Church of Christ – Congregational of Spearfish.
The active casket bearers were Fred R. Lee, Dr. Thomas E. Mead, Cecil and Charles Nicholas, Raymond Petersen, and John Vigna. All other friends were considered as honorary casket bearers. Masonic graveside services were conducted by members of the Spearfish Lodge No. 18 A.F. & A.M.., with Mr. John Hammond as Acting Worshipful Master, and with interment in the Rosehill Cemetery at Spearfish, South Dakota.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs