History: Christie Cemetery - Mary Louise Chapel
Surnames: Hediger, Opelt, Knoop
---------Source: Eau Claire Leader (Eau Claire, Wis.) 26 Nov 1964
CHRISTIE (Special) – Marie Louise Chapel, dedicated to the memory of their granddaughter, by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Hediger, overlooks the Black River from the east hillside of the Christie Cemetery, a mile west of here (Christie, Clark Co., Wis.).
Hediger did much of the work himself on the chapel, with its half ton bell imported from Switzerland via Hudson's Bay. The chapel commemorates "Those for Whom the Bell Tolls."
Marie Louise Opelt, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Opelt, died August 27, 1962, of injuries received when she was struck on her bicycle by a passing automobile. Her grave lies near the chapel.
Hediger went to Switzerland last year to purchase the church bell, which was brought by boat to Hudson Bay, where he and a son-in-law, Robert Knoop, picked it up with a truck.
Hediger came to this country from Switzerland in 1921, as young man was schooled in butter and cheesemaking, and worked in Neillsville before moving here to develop his own dairy plant.
Christie is located seven miles north of Neillsville on Highway 73.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs