News: Granton (27 Oct 1911)


Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



Surnames: Dudei, Riedel, Schroeder, Root, Davis, Budge, Hayden, Flynn, Eibergen, Beeckler, Gerzemehle, Hollenbach, Hohenstein, Bender, Ober, Clement, Dorst, Schlinsog, Huntley, Mabie, Kurzrok, Braatz, Osgood, Page, Dankemyer, Reichert, Flint, Soles, Reiff, Kurth, Rogers, Nelson, Frantz, Schueller, Neinas, Berg, Brooks, Schmoll, Martin, Madler, Conrad, Henning, Ebson, Bergeman, Hart, Williams, Amidon, Jensen, Eisenhart, Steele, Vogt, Guk, Albrecht, Moore, Schroeder, Babcock, Guth, Mellentine, Schwantes, Hiles, Eschenberg, Prange, Wegner, Knorr, Rausch, Marsh, Schuler, Redmond, Kempin, Taft, Fraser, Gerlach, Treichler, Bright


----Source: The Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., WI.) October 27, 1911


Granton (27 October 1911)


A baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bruno Dudei, Oct. the 5th.


F. J. Riedel drove to Loyal last Sunday to visit his sister.


E. Schroeder is remodeling the interior of his house.


Sylvester Root of the Ridge was in town, Monday.


Hale Davis went to Rice Lake Monday night.


Mrs. Geo. Budge of St. Paul visited Mrs. Scott Davis late last week.


Mrs. Louis Hayden’s two sisters who had been visiting her returned home to Merrillan late last week.


Mrs. Jas. Flynn of Merrillan was a guest at W. S. Davis’ last Friday.


Jennie Eibergen and Stella Davis of Chili were over Sunday guests at the E. A. Beeckler home.


Mrs. Gerzemehle visited her parents at Marshfield early this week.


Mrs. Jacob Hollenbach and mother of Eau Claire after a ten days visit here at Geo. Hollenbach’s left for Almond Monday morning.


Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hohenstein with their little family of 3 children departed early this week for their new home at Alma Center. 


Essie Bender who is attending high school at Neillsville came home Saturday and remained until Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Harry Ober returned on Monday from a weeks visit at Arpin.  They report Mrs. Rice Davis to be comparatively well again.


W. S. Davis has been on the sick list all week.


Mr. and Mrs. Clement of Strum are here visiting at Mike Dorst’s.


A boy was born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schlinsog, last Saturday.


Mrs. Geo. Huntley was at Chili, Wednesday.


Albert Mabie and family spent Wednesday with Neillsville friends.


Mrs. Kurzrok is making a farewell visit with her daughter, Mrs. Henry Braatz.


Wm. Guk transacted business at Neillsville Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Mot Osgood drove down and spent Sunday at Warren Page’s.


August Dankemyer and L. A. Reichert of Chili were in town Tuesday.


Mrs. P. J. Flint has been confined to her bed for a week past.


Alwin Soles came down from Spencer Tuesday for a visit at his son Edward’s home.


The Ladies Aid of Rev. Reiff’s congregation will meet with Mrs. Will Kurth next Wednesday. Dinner will be served at noon.


Mrs. Frank Rogers and son Lyle came home Wednesday from a 3 weeks visit at Nekoosa.  Mr. Rogers met them at Marshfield.


Mrs. Nelson and Albert Frantz came down from Abbotsford Monday and remained until Wednesday afternoon as guests at Herman Schuellers.


Among those from this vicinity who attended the school board convention at Neillsville last Saturday were Chas. Neinas, C. C. Berg and Chas. Brooks.


Mrs. J. Reiff came home Saturday from a visit at Wausau.


Miss Flora Kurzrok is visiting Mrs. August Schmoll since Wednesday. She will remain with her until she leaves for Burlington.


Mrs. John Martin came down from Schofield again Wednesday to remain until she can take her little girl home with her.


Mr. and Mrs. Pete Madler, E. Conrad and Herman Henning were among the Chili people here Wednesday.


Mr. and Mrs. Solon Davis were county seat visitors, Saturday.


Albert Davis went to Fenwood Wednesday.


Ferdinand Reichert spent Wednesday at Chili.


Mr. and Mrs. Anton Ebson of Marshfield spent Sunday here at the Gust Bergeman home.


Chas Brooks returned to Stevens Point on Sunday night’s midnight train.


Mrs. Leland Davis, Geo. Hart, Frieda and Irma Williams were Neillsville visitors Wednesday.


Master Irving Kurth will have to return to the Eau Claire hospital this week yet, his condition having changed to worse.


Oscar Doughty, Henry Williams and Dr. Rath transacted legal business at Neillsville last Saturday.


Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Amidon and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Neinas autoed to Neillsville Sunday and spent the afternoon at Al Jensen’s.


Henry Eisenhart and family moved into rooms over the Steele blacksmith shop, Saturday.


Mr. and Mrs. Herman Vogt, Chas. Guk and Wm. Albrecht were Neillsville visitors between trains, on Tuesday.


Frank Moore after spending several days with his family at Stanley returned to his work here for the Barron Woolen Mills Co., Tuesday.


Mrs. Edward Schroeder and children went to Neillsville Sunday and will remain at the Chas. Babcock home until the remodeling of the Schroeder home is completed.


Mrs. C. A. Guth was given a birthday surprise party Sunday.  All participating had a good time and hope such treats may come to pass annually, hereafter. 


Frank Mellentine of Spencer came down Monday on a visit to his nephew Fred Schwantes, the Pleasant Ridge cheesemaker.


Mrs. John Martin and baby son after a few days visit at John Hiles returned to Schofield on Monday.  Mrs. Martin left the little girl here just recovering from tonsillitis, but too ill to make the trip home, then.


Ludwig Eschenberg drove in from Shortville Tuesday and met his daughter Rose who came home from Minneapolis, that day.


Mrs. E. D. Prange and baby daughter came home Tuesday from a two weeks visit among relatives and friends at Plymouth, Waldo, Sheboygan and Sheboygan Falls.


Herman Wegner recently completed a number of elegant team sheds on the lots west of his hotel. There are now an amount of good sheds in the village and there is no excuse for anyone leaving their horses stand in the streets in stormy and cold weather.


The Knorr-Rausch Hardware Co. are building an addition onto their store building, which when completed will serve as an automobile repair shop.  L. A. Marsh and his assistants are doing the carpenter work.


Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Schuler and son Stewart together with Mr. Schuler’s sister, Miss Olga, arrived here from Brillion last week Thursday and took possession of the M. C. Redmond farm recently purchase in York.


August Kempin of chili was in town Wednesday.  It is the first time he has been here since the railroad accident in which he suffered such serious injuries during the first week of September.  He is quite himself again now.


President Taft’s special train carrying the Nation’s Chief passed through here at 2:20 Thursday a.m. on his way to Fond du Lac. Geo. Fraser with his section crew worked all night as it was imperative that the track be patrolled an hour in advance of this train’s passing.


W. J. Gerlach, proprietor of the Heathville Cheese Factory returned from Mount Clements, Mich., last Saturday where he spent about two weeks taking treatments at the hot springs.  Mr. Gerlach has been suffering severely with rheumatism for a number of years, but he is practically cured now.


Oscar Treichler after spending a week at Riedel’s and Braatz’s took the train Sunday for Milwaukee where he holds a good position with the Pabst Brewing Co.  Carl and Herman Braatz accompanied him as far as Black River Falls.


A petition is being circulated here for the purpose of inducing the railroad company to install night service in this depot.  A night man here would be greatly appreciated, especially by the traveling public, but we are in doubt of the company granting this request.  Some time ago the people near Kurth petitioned the railroad company to erect a depot at that place and as a consequence they found their station taken from the map entirely.  We hope that this petition will not have a similar effect on Granton, and that we may not be deprived of our train service at night altogether.


H. A. Bright of Bright transacted business here between trains Monday forenoon. While here he whiled away several hours in our sanctum and it was during that time that we enjoyed a most interacting visit with this venerable gentleman.  Mr. Bright is one of the old time loggers and many an interesting story he can relate from the early day logging industry on Black River.  He is one of the oldest residents of Black River Falls, but most of his time in late years he has spent on his farm at Bright, a station named in his honor on the Foster railroad.  Being one of the big property owners at Black River Falls his loss in the recent flood there is consequently severe.  But Mr. Bright is one of those who can only see the bright side of life.  He said the disaster at that city when his property, including a nice wood pile, was swept away by the water, reminded him of a North Dakota wind storm.  If a man’s hat is blown away there, he very seldom runs after it, but stands there and waits until somebody else’s comes along.  In five years from now, he said, Black River Falls will be rebuilt, and the people will have forgotten all about this great flood.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel