News: Granton Locals (2 Feb 1917)




Surnames: Handt, Mooney, Rhead, Wiesner, Berg, Jensen, Riedel, Burge, Davis, Sweet, Schroeder, Baer, Cole, Finnigan, Ferrell, Patno, Ross, Mattson, Pischer, Redmond, Peterson, Kemmeter, Radke, Pietenpol, Bladl, Thayer, Rose, Neinas, King, Strand, Flynn, Breed, Converse, Counsell, Hillert, Reiff, Hahn, Holtz, Slocomb, Holtz, West, Paulson, Osgood, Burch, Downer, Gerber, Dorst, Reichert, Frazier, Viergutz, Oosterhaus, Schlinsog, Fabian, Bay, Eberhardt, Wegener, Wilke, Christofferson, Wisdom, Knorr, Gasch, Lavey, Hubing, Buss, Dietrich, Beeckler, Krause, Barth, Lehrke, Shafer, Wentworth, Lee, Garbush, Zorn, Winn, Amidon, Stubbs, Esch, Seltrecht, Budge


----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark County, Wis.) 02/02/1917


Paul Handt spent Monday afternoon at Marshfield.


John Mooney made a business trip to Marshfield on Monday.


Mrs. Will Rhead spent Tuesday at Neillsville.


Ed Wiesner was a county seat caller on Tuesday.


Carl Berg and L.N. Jensen went to Marshfield on Tuesday.


Miss Emma Riedel visited Neillsville friends on Monday.


Gus Burge of Lynn went to Clintonville Tuesday.


Miss Bessie Davis, the primary teacher, spent the weekend at Reedsburg.


Myrl Sweet returned to Green County on Monday.


Miss Helen Schroeder, the assistant principal, spent the weekend with relatives at Augusta.


Mrs. Baer spent Saturday at Neillsville engaged with abstract work.


Leonard Cole went to Eau Claire and made an over Sunday visit among friends.


Chester Finnigan is in St. Paul since Friday where he is taking a two week electrical course.


Mrs. Chas. Ferrell of Chili is visiting at John Patno’s on route 1 since Monday.


Harry Ross joined Ben Mattson at Wausau on Monday.  Ben has a good job there and Harry went to take a like position.


Paul Pischer of Chili spent the weekend here at the Dr. H.L. Ross home.  Geo. Redmond of Neillsville visited old friends here Saturday afternoon.


O.A. Peterson and ? spent Friday at Marshfield.


P.J. Kemmeter was a county seat visitor on Monday.


Chas. Radke, who recently sold his farm near County Farm Corners, has bought a resident in the city of Neillsville.


W.J. Davis, W.J. Thayer and Harry Rose spent Friday night at Merrillan attending a meeting at the I.O.O.F.


Today, Friday, is Groundhog day, and the old saying is if Groundhog day is fair and clear, there will be two winters in the years.


Marshfield is looking forward to the return of Co. A. and the 2nd Reg. band within the next few weeks and big plans are being made for their homecoming.  They have orders to be ready to entrain Feb. 7 for Ft. Sheridan, Ill.


Louis Davis is here from Browning, Mont. since Wednesday night.  He will probably spend this month here with relatives in the Fred, W.S. Hale, Truman, Frank Davis and John Pietenpol families.


Cast an eye on that subscription label of yours.  Note the date and if it is a past one, come in and make it a coming one.  Remember $1.25 pays for the Granton News for a year.  Send us a check, post office money order, a draft or come in and pay up.


Paul Bladl, a young son of Chas. Bladl on Route 2, is here at his uncle John Bladl’s since last Saturday, that he may be nearer his physician, who is treating him for a diseased upper arm.


Arthur Neinas, Geo. King, harry Rose and C. Strand spent Friday night at Neillsville.


Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Flynn of Loyal were here on business Friday and continued on to Neillsville that evening.


Mrs. Augusta Breed was quite ill and under the doctor’s care several days last week.


Clay Converse came down from Butternut Friday night and made an over Sunday visit among relatives.


Mrs. Susan Counsell has been quite under the weather this week with the grippe.


Mrs. August Hiller entertained the Ladies Aid of Rev. Reiff’s parish Wednesday.


Mrs. Gus Hahn spent Tuesday night with her cousin Mrs. Gus Holtz at Neillsville.


Town chairman Otis Slocomb is attending the Road Making School at Madison since Tuesday.


Mrs. Will West Jr. goes to Neillsville tomorrow to enter the hospital for an operation.


Oscar Neinas came over from Chili Tuesday expecting to leave in the morning with two teams of Ross Paulson’s and rive to Tripoli.


Mrs. Almeda Osgood continues to be very ill with neuralgia.  Her granddaughter, Mrs. Joe Downer and Mrs. Harry Burch are caring for her.


Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gerber, Mike Dorst, Carl Reichert, B.F. Frazier, Albert Viergutz and daughter Rose were Neillsville visitors on Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Joe Oosterhaus of Waldo are visiting the H.F. Lawson and John Pietenpol families since Sunday.


Wm. Schlinsog of Greenwood spent the weekend here with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Schlinsog.  His father is on the sick list.


Emil Fabian and his uncle Geo. Fabian, both of Williams Bay, are here since Tuesday visiting the latter’s brother Clarence Fabian and family at the Oscar Eberhardt home.


Mrs. Herman Wegner went to Marshfield Saturday to consult a doctor of the Marshfield Clinic in regard to her condtion.  Her daughter Mrs. Chas. Wilke accompanied her on the trip.  Mrs. Wegner had been quite under the weather for weeks past.


Mr. and Mrs. Jensen and daughter Laura, Edwin Christofferson and sister, Gertrude, all of Marshfield, with the Rev. Wisdom of New York, were over Sunday guests of the Loyal Jordan family.


Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Knorr left for Fort Meyer, Fla. On Monday.  They will be absent about 6 weeks and visit at Jacksonville, St. Petersburg and Tampa, before their return from this pleasure trip.


George Gasch of Calumet County, who visited the Frank Lavey family here the first of the week, left on the return trip on Tuesday.  Mr. Lavey accompanied him as far as Marshfield, where he spent the day.


Miss Maria Hubing, a freshman at the Neillsville High School, entertained her classmates with a sleigh ride and party at her home on the Ridge Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Joe Buss are recovering from their recent severe illness.  Miss Emma Dietrich is attending to the household duties at the Buss home the past several weeks.


Walter Krause went to Marshfield Tuesday for a short visit with his mother and other old friends, returning home the next day.


Rex Beeckler came up from Stevens Point Friday evening and remained until Tuesday morning when he returned to his studies there.


Mrs. Frank Converse and Miss Bertha Barth are staying with Miss Myrtle Knorr during the absence of the latter’s parents, who are in the south.  This move was made Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. John Lehrke of Whitehall, after a two week visit with the Will Shafter family on the Wentworth farm, went home Tuesday.


Mrs. Dale Lee and children went to Neillsville Friday evening and made a visit to the Vint Lee family, returning home Saturday.


Frank F. Johnson came home from Fond du Lac Friday evening and made an over Sunday visit with his parents on Route 4.


Mr. and Mrs. Richard Garbush and son Arnold, after a couple of week visit among relatives here, went home to Leroy, Minn. on Monday.


Frank Zorn is recovering from his recent tussle with pneumonia and promises soon to be quite okay again.


Miss Ruby Winn, a professional nurse who was called here from Milwaukee to assist in the care of her sister-in-law, Mrs. Floyd Winn, two weeks ago, returned to Milwaukee and her work there on Sunday.


Mrs. G.E. Amidon was called to Tawas City, Mich. Tuesday evening by news of the alarming illness of her aged father Mrs. Laidlaw, a man of some 80 summers.


Baby Ilene Elizabeth Hughes, who was quite ill Tuesday and under the doctor’s care for several days thereafter, is today happily much better.


Ben Stubbs left for Sidney, Mont. Tuesday evening to spend the balance of the winter at least, with his sons Ernest, Arthur and Ray, there.


Mrs. Mathilda Esch, mother of our Congressman John J. Esch and Post Office inspector Wm. Esch, both gentlemen comparatively well-known here, died at her home in Kenosha last Friday.  She was a woman 79 years of age.


Fred Seltrecht went to Eau Claire Monday evening hoping to bring his little grandson Donald Seltrecht home from the hospital there, and was much disappointed to learn that the little fellow must submit to another operation which was performed Tuesday morning.  The lad, after a long siege of pneumonia, was taken tot eh hospital 4 weeks since where with his aunt Mrs. Clara Seltrecht caring for him, he has been a patient since.  It is now expected that Donald may be brought home yet this week and if so, will for a short time take up residence at the W.P. Budge home that he may be nearer the physician who will care for him until such time as it is thought prudent to move him out to the home on Route 4.  Miss Clara too, will remain with him here at the W.P. Budge home.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel