Bio: Fuchsgruber, E.J., Hiebsch, F.V., Hemmy, H.P. (Fishing Trip - 1924)


Contact: Linda Mertens



Surnames: Fuchsgruber, Hiebsch, Hemmy


----Source: The Weekly Clarion, September 26, 1924 (Dorchester, Clark Co., Wis.) 


Fuchsgruber, E.J., Hiebsch, F.V., Hemmy, H.P. (Fishing Trip - 1924)




Undertaker E.J. Fuchsgruber, F. V. Hiebsch, President of the Dorchester State Bank, and A. P. Hemmy, Cashier of the Security State Bank at Colby, and an old school mate of E. J. Fuchsgruber, went on a fishing trip last Sunday that they will never forget.

They were fishing in Black River back of the George Putnam home, that is, Mr. Hiebsch was, while the other two had gone to the big hole some distance further south.


Suddenly they heard a steadily increasing terrific roar and the sky became a yellowish black. Sensing something radically wrong, they dropped their poles and made for the highway to the east. Fuchsgruber and Hemmy were soon forced to take refuge behind a very large sturdy elm. The storm passed leaving them surrounded with broken and twisted trees, but luckily uninjured.


Mr. Hiebsch sought refuge in the open and fared somewhat worse. Hearing the storm approaching he got up from the bank, and it wasn’t long before he located the source of the noise and the direction the funnel shaped cloud was taking, which meant a quick getaway for him if he wished to retain his hide whole. He immediately beat it for the Putnam home, but the storm was upon him in all its fury before he got half way. Grabbing onto a convenient fence post, he held on for dear life. While the storm raged about him, Frank held on, his body and limbs whipping in the breeze like a cloth on a wash line. Frank frankly admits now that it sounds funny, but he did not think so at that time, everything was very serious. Not realizing the extent or havoc played, he made his way back to the river and got his tackle and a good sized muskie that he had caught before the storm.


 Some time elapsed before the three finally reached the Putnam home where they were informed of the disaster at the Sam Thorson Farm.


In the meantime, Mr. and Mrs. Putnam were watching the storm approach and as it neared them they sought refuge in the basement. Geo. watched the storm pass, from the west cellar window, and judged its speed at anywhere from 60 to 75 miles an hour.


The men folks, making their way slowly through the turned over trees, logs and rubbish that blocked the road, finally arrived at the Olson home. Mr. Olson joined them, and they soon reached the Thorson home.


Mr. and Mrs. Thorson were located amid the ruins several hundred feet from where the house had stood, both partially buried in the debris. Mrs. Thorson was dead, and Mr. Thorson was very severely injured. They were placed in the Olson wagon and taken to the Olson home where Mr. Thorson was placed upon a couch. The road from there to the Putnam home was then opened with the aid of the horses, a cross cut saw and an axe, and Mrs. Thorson taken to the Putnam home.


That evening the remains of Mrs. Thorson were brought to Dorchester and prepared for burial by Undertaker Fuchsgruber.


 The Hemmy Willis-Knight, in which the boys made the trip, was parked between the Putnam house and barn and was somewhat sheltered. Only the cloth top was torn off.


The boys say they will try and choose more favorable fishing weather for their next trip.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel