Property: Surveying Clark County (1842 - 1901)
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner, Greenwood, Clark County, Wisconsin, on December 27, 1901
Surveying Land For The First Time
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT The territory now embraced within the limits of Clark County was originally surveyed by the United States surveyors between 1842 and 1856; the section and quarter corners were marked by a wood stake and from one to four (usually two) trees were marked by a wood stake, and the kind, diameter, direction and distance from the stake were noted. This survey was hurriedly and carelessly done, but however imperfectly surveyed, or however irregular were the boundaries of sections under this survey the deed or patents granted by the United States conveyed the lands bounded by these monuments and any changes in the location of any of them takes from some individual, land that he has paid for and gives to another, land that he has not purchased. Any attempt to disturb these boundaries must result in vexatious and expensive litigation. The original stake set by the Government surveyors, fifty or more years ago have all disappeared, and the witness trees that marked their location have in most instances been destroyed. When new stake were set and new witnesses established by the earlier surveyors, no record has been kept and such corners can rarely be located, except by those who were present and them planted. The older settlers, who knew most about the corners, are rapidly leaving us and the time has come when some steps must be taken to preserve our boundaries and perpetuate the landmarks. Under our Statutes, the county as a county cannot take the matter up, but provision is made, (See Section 825 and 826 of the Wis. Statue.) for the towns to erect landmarks. Most of the towns in our neighboring counties have already done this. Why is not Clark County keeping up with the procession?
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs