WI-Methodist "Hope Chapel"
Contact: Dorene Newman
----Source: Unity Centennial
Hope Chapel, Methodist Church
Photo contributed by Helen Blaha
The first services were held in log school houses. In the late 1890's, a Methodist Church was built on Durke's land and was named Hope Chapel. Mrs. Sarah Pickett and Mrs. Elienn Parrette were instrumental in raising funds for the building and the men of the congregation and friends, helped with the labor. This was a small group and after a few years the doors were closed and the building sat idle until Reverend Perkins, a young evangelist, arrived. He held revival meetings in the building, and soon the real Hope Chapel was again an active group. it was part of the Spencer charge, then later became part of the COLBY, WIS. - Unity charge. They had a very active Ladies Aid Society and Sunday School. At one time they had a band. Mrs. Frank Seefeldt was their organist for many years. As time passed, families moved away, being replaced by families of other denominations. By 1948, the congregation at Hope Chapel was so small, the members decided to join larger Methodist Churches in neighboring towns. On February 8, 1948, the building was sold to Lawrence Neuman for $400.00 and moved to his farm, where it was rebuilt into a home. The church is gone, but those that worshiped in it will never forget what it did for them and the community.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs