BioA: Short, Mr./ Mrs. Andrew (50th - 1923)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Short, Schroeder, Bell, Donnell, O’Neill, Kennedy, Taylor, Fuller, Neff, Scott, Monroe, Warne, Altpeter, Scobie, VanFleet, Beightley, Kegley, Nelson, Hitchcock, Babcock, Bue, Meadow, Cramer, Wallace, Wall, Phillips, Hanson, Frantz, Parrett, Miller
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Thursday, 07/19/1923
Short, Mr./ Mrs. Andrew (50th - 10 July 1923)
Tuesday, July 10th was a red-letter day in the married life of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Short, of Shortville, in the township of Washburn, that day having witnessed the fiftieth anniversary of the day in which they plighted themselves together before the hymenial altar.
The Golden-Wedding was delightfully celebrated at the home of the elderly couple, and the occasion was attended by more than two hundred guests, composed of many of the relatives of both Mr. and Mrs. Short, a goodly number of the pioneer families of the Shortville neighborhood, and other long time friends of the family. The weather as most auspicious, the extreme heat having been broken by the goodly rainfall of the early forenoon. The guests from a distance had, many of them, already reached the vicinity of Shortville before hand, and with those from nearby neighborhoods, began to gather on the spacious lawn a the Short homestead long before the noon hour with many a hearty handshake, friendly greetings and conversation they each entered into the joyous spirit of the occasion, and all of them showered upon the aged "bride and groom" their sincere well wishes and congratulations. Just before the noon hour the large company of guests were gathered at the front of the residence, and while Miss Rose Schroeder rendered very softly on the organ the air of Home, Sweet Home, Mr. and Mrs. Short accompanied by their two sons and daughter, James and Ralph Short and Mrs. May Bell, took their places on the front portico and were presented each with a handsome gold ring, "wedding gift" of their children. The rings were presented by Rev. G. J. Donnell in a short and appropriate ring-ceremony in which the reconstructing parties again pledged themselves to each other "so long as they both shall live."
After they received the renewed congratulations of their many guests the "newlyweds were conducted to the front lawn where was served on a long table, a sumptuous repast which did much credit to the hospitality of the Short family, as well as to the culinary skill of the good ladies by whom it was prepared and served.
The repast was followed by a very happy and thoughtful address by Judge James O’Neill, of Neillsville, in which he recalled much of the history of the Shortville neighborhood and its pioneer families since Mr. and Mrs. Short became residents of that locality fifty years ago. The address was highly appreciated by the entire company of guests. This address was followed by several impromptu talks from some of the guests who were called on for ’after-dinner’ speeches, and several songs which were very appropriate. At the close of these reminiscent talks the whole company joined in the singing a patriotic hymn and "God be With You till We Meet Again."
The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Short earlier in the day had presented them with several handsome pieces of furniture in token of their esteem and as a remembrance of the happy event consummating their half-century of married life.
Certainly the golden wedding occasion of this esteemed couple will be long remembered as one of the happiest events in history of Washburn township.
Andrew Short and Jane Kennedy were married at Jefferson, Wis., July 10, 1873. They were both born in Oakland Township, Jefferson County, and grew up together there. They have known each other all their lives. Mr. Short came here about a year and a half previous to their marriage and bought the land which has been their home all their married life. He built a log house to which he brought his bride. In early years he worked in lumber camps and on the river. In all their pioneer work and effort his wife has been his faithful helpmate and companion.
There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Short three children, all of whom were present at the Wedding: James A. Short and wife, Ralph Short and wife; May Bell, wife of Walter Bell. They all live in the town of their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Short have also seven grandchildren; Gale, Opal, Wanda and Marie, children of James A. Short: Leland and Bruce, children of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bell; and Doreen May, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Short.
Andrew Short is the only one of a family of ten children now surviving. Those deceased were George, Stephen, James, William, John., Mrs. Bestsey Taylor, Jane Fuller, Belle Neff and Mary.
Together Mr. and Mrs. Short have done their full share in the development of their community. They have always stood for the best things in the home and neighborhood life and now with their children and grandchildren about them, they walk happily and leisurely down the sunset slope of life.
Those who attended the wedding from outside the county were: Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Scott, Mrs. H. Monroe, and Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Warne all of Cambridge, Wis.; Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Altpeter, Ft. Atkinson; Daniel Kennedy, Merrimac; Mrs. Luther Scobie, Baraboo; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. VanFleet and Mrs. Minnie Beightley, Viola; Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Kegley, Viroqua; Mr. and Mrs. Effner Nelson, Ladysmith; Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hitchcock, Alma Center.
Those from Neillsville: David Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Babcock, Geo. Bue and wife and niece, Alice Meadow, Peter Cramer, Mr. and Mrs. George Cramer, Mr. and Mrs. Avery Wallace, Miss Mildred Wallace, Mr. and Mrs. Harley Wall, George Phillips, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hanson, Mr. and Mrs. James O’Neill, Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Frantz, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Frantz, Mr. and Mrs. George L. Frantz, Mrs. Jennie Parrett, Mrs. Irene Miller.
*There was a photo of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Short enclosed in the article.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs